Orlando, Florida
1K views

My neighborhood Albertson's was bought out by Publix. Publix has not opened the store yet as they are remodeling, but after visiting another Publix five miles away from me the other day, I decided to drive five miles further to an Albertsons to stock up on things today. When the new and closer Publix opens, I will still drive to an Albertsons because here is what I noticed:

Publix is pushing their store brand everything by over-pricing most national products. It would be fine if they were like Albertsons, Winn Dixie, Target, etc. where one can expect to pay a little less for a store brand, but can also expect competitive prices on national brands. However, I noticed Publix charges national brand prices or higher for their store brands (some of which are good, some of which are really lacking in quality) and the national brand products in Publix are almost all over-priced. So basically everything in Publix is over-priced. I'm not sure who sets the prices for that chain of stores, but they may want to run a competitive analysis because $100.00 in a Publix doesn't go nearly as far as a $100 in any of the other mentioned grocery stores. Some of their prices are almost double what one can find in the others. For example...I paid $3.49 for a bowl of fresh cut watermelon in Albertsons (they offer three sizes). They were asking around $6.00 for that same size bowl in Publix!..I didnt buy it. Publix has a lot of good products, but they really need to do something about their pricing before I will shop there.

Comments

Publix should do like CVS does and offer "Extra Bucks" on the purchase of overpriced items. These "Extra Bucks" could then be used on buying more overpriced merchandise with "Extra Bucks" on them, and then the customer could be caught in an endless chain of spending "Extra Bucks" at Publix. That's how CVS keeps many of it's repeat customers.

I found seafood prices very expensive at Publix. Fish fillet is sold by 5 oz piece priced between $5 and $12 which makes per pound price $15 to $36 while other stores sell the same fish for $7 to $17 per pound. Pineapple is also almost always $5 there, everywhere else it is under $3.

I have pretty much stopped shopping there now, its just to expensive, and i really dislike how they seem to take advantage of natural disasters like hurricanes. They raise all of their prices up and explain it by saying its to cover costs for more transportation or to help needy people...then they never lower their prices afterwards.

The new standard for their pricing is what they raised to during the hurricane, and they think the public is so stupid too notice.

The only exception with Publix when they are not ripping you off are the buy 1 get 1 free deals, if the item is not a BOGO then you are being bent over by them. Walmart is entrenching themselves in South Florida grocery wise, give it few more years and Publix may go the way of Winn Dixie and become irrelevant if they dont change their pricing.

Publix automatically adds one dollar to what you pay for national brand products at Winn Dixie, Aldi's, Sedano's, or any other store in Florida.

I AGREE ON THE OUTRAGEOUS PRICES ST PUBLIX. A STORE IS CLOSE TO ME BUT IWILL DRIVE AS FAR AS I HAVE TO ,TO BUY MY GROCERIES.

I FEEL ANGRY ABOUT THE PRICES AND SUBSTANDARD PRODUCTS. I WILL TELLEVERY ONE I TALK TO ABOUT THEIR HEARTLESS RIPOFFS,

Publix is way over priced on just about everything. Some items such as a frozen dinner is up to $2.00 higher at Publix compared to Winn Dixie or Walmart.

Example: Stouffers dinner, $2.50 at Winn Dixie. Publix, the same item, $3.99. Their meat and produce department is entirely unaffordable. You have to be wealthy or not care about cost to buy from those departments.

The only time I shop at Publix is when I can't get something I need at the other stores. Then I only buy 1 or 2 things at Publix out of necessity. Also, the Publix brand items are just as much as the name brands.

They are over priced, period. Shop elsewhere when you can.

Your right, you can only buy BOGO things at Publix and sometimes they aren't special. Today I noticed Publix had Jello pudding in 4 packs for $2.50.

Walmart sold the same 4 pack for $1.00. Something wrong when there's that much difference.

Ask them, they will tell you what ever the market can bear. Publix caters to the rich and *** who don't care what the price is

I am in Florida for a visit and needed to go grocery shopping. Unfortunately the only grocery store besides Walmart is The over-priced Publix.

I Never shop at Publix when I am home (Georgia). The Publix's prices are terribly high.

Give me Kroger every time. I want my Kriger back!

I agree. The price fluctuations are as much ad 2.00.

Cheese one day is on sale 2 for 5.00 (8oz each) the next day 2 for 7.29. A sale? Product placement is out of control and national brands dissappearing.

Their food is produced for profit like conglomorates...using high fructose corn syrup in everything even vanilla extract where it doesn't belong. Suddenly the bottom line is more important than their neighborhood families who shop there.

@Anonymous

at a gas station I bought a 4 pack of budweiser for 4.99 publix is 5.65

i though Public was your number one store.......WRONG there such a rip off :(

just way to high i think its ridicules.

Agree with your comments. I pay less at Winn Dixie and get foods that are just as good, quality-wise.

And, earn savings on automotive fuel (diesel in my case). Publix is relatively upscale, yes, but there's a 10-15% increase in my cost for weekly groceries when I shop there.

Went to the produce department yesterday. There were four eggplants and beat up ugly. Asked for any in the back, none, so I complained. Produce guy agreed and surprised me by giving me two for free on the "Publix Promise" which must be some initiative for cases like this to write off damaged or unacceptable food for the regular price with no alternative.

Was shopping for Mom who I only feed the best as she is a terminal patient and immobile. So I went to the organic section and picked up another eggplant, as a matter of fact, it had a bruise too that was unacceptable but was actually good besides that. Produce guy passed me again and I said thanks, only the best for Mom so I'm buying this and I'll just eat the small ones you gave me myself, look, I took a bruised one to return the favor. All cool.

Passed the bakery. No rye, but 3 feet left, rye in the deli from bakery. Priced 10% higher for the same baked dough, different slicing scheme. Beat up. Manager of deli was there with employee. Asked why is this more expensive? Answered: because it is bigger (employee). Me: but they are all 1 pound loaves, right? Answer, That's what they weigh, but the ones in deli are bigger so they cost more. Me, to manager: does this make any sense? Manager, no, I just learned something too. You can have it for the bakery price if you want I'll reprice it. Me: Thanks for the offer (at this point produce guy happens to pass by and briefly says the bread is all the same, probably recognizing me wanting to help.) Me to manager: No thanks, the bread is terrible but thanks for the offer. Feeling good about Publix now, but employee never got it, she thought whatever nonsense about one one pound loaf was bigger than the other one pound loaf was perfect justification and told me so. Now, not feeling good. Should have just left, but had to open mouth to tell here, what's bigger about it, the slices? Don't you slice for free? Manager, smiles of course any way the customer likes it! Employee, attitude miffed, it is sliced for convenience that's why. Me, to manager, she has a point but the size is the same. Simply there are more employees working in Deli so they up the price to cover the service, but the baking is identical even if the shape is somewhat different, it is the same shape as these in bakery (noted other loved of the same shape at the lower level price). Me, to manager: Maybe a little more training. It is annoying for a customer to see this pricing and get an answer that makes no real sense. Yes!, ok bye byem, thanks , anytime, etc.

Arrive at cashier to pay. present all groceries. Guy in management clothes comes by who I didn't notice. Scans my items, organic first, I make brief comment about free eggplants, shrugging that I didn't understand what he wrote, but those two wrapped were free from the guy in produce. Immediately cashier said, sure, and managerial type surprises me by jumping in says, loud and clear, yes he knew about it. Me: Huh??? Curiosity, you weren't there were you (I'm being nice, just very puzzled as it seems miraculous he would know about this and it took me by surprise). He was cheerful and acting over the top nice, and I'm further intrigued, and then I hear produce guy right up there too. Thoroughly confused, nothing made sense and I just said thanks to everyone with a big puzzled smile and took off.

Driving back home it hit me. Produce guy heard me talking to the supervisor guy in bakery and had second thoughts. He thought I was going to slip the organic eggplant in for free. That is the only thing that explains the lurking chain, immediate kowledge of the cashier and presence of acting store manager and produce guy, and then his bashful over compensated friendlyness that was done in an awkward manner.

So, case solved, no rocket science. Moral, Don't ask employees to explain more than their capacity and don't be too inquisitive about pricing inequities or you get a reputation and then because Publix expects you to blindly pay no questions asked, be sure one guy who volunteers a Publix promise free to you doesn't see you asking another department to explain anything at all.

Because we consmers are not supposed to be concerned why a loaf of bread baked in the bakery suddenly becomes more expensive when side down 3 feet on the adjacent contiguious glass in deli.

So, Publix was perfect until they completely blew it. I won't go back. Really not all employees are able to handle informed consumers that are kind but want honest answers. It's not really Publix, but still, it is. Not because this was not the outcome that training provides, but can we really hold such a huge corporation responsible for the royal treatment at the cashier? But yes, the store doesn't work. I will continue to visit better managed Publixes. Misunderstandings like this are indicative of a poor store management team and for the Moment the next Publix over in a somewhat higher end area has excellent management staff and would never have done such foolishness.

Go to

Love the store for cleanliness, selection and ambiance, but with all this, shopping Publix is no longer "a pleasure." Prices are skyrocketing and they're not even sneaky about it! When I complained about a single bakery item increase of $1.00, I was told that the difference is that Publix offers quality.

I countered with the fact that there's no difference between Publix and other grocers in a bag of cookies, can of soup, box of tea or bottle of liquid detergent.

Sadly, from now on my shopping will be done where my wallet won't take such a beating. Sadly, I see the demise of this great store because like so much of America, they got too greedy.

There is something very unsavory going on with Publix. Prices overall seem too high compared to comparable retailers. I don't think they'll ever be caught..they seem too smart to allow this to happen but I do think I'll take my business elsewhere.

I go the GOURMET grocers and save big bucks over Publix. I have also started contacting food mfrs and distributors to let them know they are losing sales because of Publix's ridiculous orices.

$6.39 for a gallon of (name brand)milk...COME ON!! Yeah, Publix milk is less, but it's bland!

Publix is quickly becoming the new (over-priced) WalMart - Especially in the way they treat their employees. Working people to death with outrageous claims of "Production Quotas" while paying non-living wages and making single Moms works six days a week part-time to get 30 hours of paid work.

Their part-time labor pool resembles the labor abuses of the early 1900s, and they are quick to tell you there are ten people out there that want your (miserable) job. My girl-friend went to work there recently and in four weeks she counted NINE new people. These part-time workers who have been conned with "But, just wait until you are full-time" need to wake up and see what Publix is really doing. Their HR Plan involves intimidation and a revolving door!

Her workmates call Publix "The New Walmart". It hasn't taken her long to realize she must keep looking for an honest workplace that respects the needs of a hard-working person seeking employment in a threat free environment.

:( I am so frustrated with the old produce and the food that is so outdated. They seem not to really care unless they get the best price for their produce and their store brand products.

I can see that they are not willing to comply with the decrease in prices when fuel cost drop. They feel that since they are able to get the price up, they prefer to keep it high. I see the elderly suffering but still shop there. It is such a shame that they can no have specials and great deals instead of they fake signs as to how much they are saving.

Or the bull on the buy one get one free.

Pitiful and you can still see that American Greed at Publix. Not to mention the ammonia smelling seafood they have sold me so many times.

PBULIX HAS ROTTEN FOOD AND OVER PRICED GARBAGE. Walmart BJ'S COSTCO SAM'S CLUB AND OTHERS all have better quality for much less.

JENKINS and CRENSHAW have a good chance of going to jail for fraud with other Publix bosses.

IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE THE FED TURNS OUT THE LIGHTS A PUBLIX. Publix has a big surprise coming