Orlando, Florida

I found out last year that our local Publix was selling "fresh" fish that sometimes stayed in the case for a week. They get shipments only on Tuesday, but don't put that fish out until the previous shipment has been sold. This explains the "fishy" smell.

Then yesterday, I found there was no ground sirloin on the shelf, asked the meat guy to get some for me, and instead of grinding some beef, he pulled out a slab of ground meat and had the machine slice and package it. When I asked him about this (because dummy me assumed that when I was buying ground beef in the meat department that I was getting meat fresh from the store), he told me that they get tubes of ground beef.

I always thought I was protecting myself from buying meat from a "processor" when I bought at Publix. Turns out I'm not. Be aware, people!

Comments

Meat is required to be grounded 3 times before packaged as ground beef. For consistency publix receives tubes of ground beef grounded twice at the meat plant and then grounded a third time "in store". This is to cut back on the amount of time it takes to produce grinds in store and to maintain the same consistency weather you buy it in Florida or Tennessee it will be the same.

Publix is my favorite over all supermarket. Ive had no problem with them other than some bad mussels i purchased once but never had any problem since.

As far as ground beef goes, if you want freshly ground beef you need to go to a latin supermarket like Sedanos or Bravo and purchase a ball of meat from the butcher dept. ( top serloin) for example.

They call it "Bolita" and have them ground it for you. My mother buys the ball and has them cut some into steaks, some into stew chunks, and ground the rest.

i purchased fresh grouper at almost $23 per pound. it was not fresh.

fishing smell. I also think the quality of the meat is down but they are experts at packaging and marketing it with premium sounding names and expensive looking branding. it look good. So much talk about how good they are but the reality is the meat and fish is not a premium product.

Not many alternatives in Lakeland.

Too bad. I think if they had more competition in town they could actually be better than they think they are.

Jamal Da Man

Lady I'm a seafood specialist none of the 7 stores I worked at recieved only 1 delivery a week. maybe you should put that liquor bottle down!

Im a meat mgr at Publix and I,ve never seen a machine that chops it for you. Yes theris an auto a wrapper but the other is *** lady.

If you want fresh hamburger get the market grinds or else its tube meat which it has been forever and also at competitors.Worked seafood four years and that is *** to. Some people just have no idea.

I think that the meat and seafoond delivery for each store would be different.

Maybe the people who answer questions at my store are dumb, but the place stinks of fish. Fresh fish doesn't smell.

Wow! Your dumb and have no clue what your talking about. Seafood is delivered fresh six days a week( no Sundays) and sure then go by your ground beef from a competitor but when you do enjoy the pink slime in your hamburger!

I want my meat fresh, not processed at some unknown factory and then trucked into the store.

I watched the guy open the tube, put it in a machine that chopped the meat onto a styrofoam plate and then he turned around and put it in the machine that put plastic wrap around it.

Not sure whether you are easily confused or deliberately lying, but nothing in what you posted rings true. Seafood depts are not limited to 1 delivery per week and there is more than one source of supply.

Ground beef of any type is not sliced nor does it come in a slab. It comes in a cylindrical tube. The meat from the tube is put in the grinder (hence the term "ground beef"). Publix does not have any any equipment that processes and packages all in one either.

Finally, what danger are you supposedly protecting yourself from by not consuming tube ground beef? The reason that all supermarkets use tube beef is due to government regulation and fat content. Stores do not have the equipmment that would be required to measure fat content. The tubes come from the same supplier as the sub primals used for steaks , roasts, etc. If you want ground beef that was ground fromeat cut in the store, look for market grind on the label. There's no guarantee of fat content and stoes only produce so much of it because they lose money on it

I still find its better quality at Publix than most other places.