Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3.2K views
2.3
Layout of Store

I have seen more and more dogs being allowed to come in to Publix. They have been allowed to sit on counters at the Deli, Customer Service counter, as well as, the Bakery.

I have witnessed that their owners, in these particular cases, do not have Handicapped Parking Permits. In most cases, the dogs aren't big enough to provide any kind of assistance to their owners. For the most part, these are comfort dogs and have not been trained for service. Go to ada.gov for their guidelines.

Publix policy...Look the other way.

The response from management has been nothing less than condescending bull. Publix is afraid and will risk relations with loyal customers.

Product or Service Mentioned: Publix Parking.

Reason of review: Publix policy concerning dogs in the store.

Publix Cons: Customer service, Management poor customer service.

Comments

WHAT IF SOMEBODY BRINGS THEIR CAT ALONG WITH THEM SHOPPING AND ONE OF THE SERVICE DOGS *** RUNNING AFTER IT AFTER IT SCRATCHES ITS OWNER AND *** RUNNING THROUGH THE AISLES ???

@Anonymous

They blocked out the word that is the secret ingredient in McDonald's "Special Sauce" that makes it taste so darn good.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE DOGS, GO TO ANOTHER STORE !

@Anonymous

No... You keep your dog at home where it belongs!

They allow it all over Europe and the UK. Never posed any health problems.

Most farmers markets allow it in the states.

You have a bigger chance of get sick worrying about it. smh

Our Publix does not allow it. They are asked to leave.

You pet must be a service animal. No we do not ask for papers, but we can ask them to leave, if the dog is not wearing the correct service dog vest.

We turned a lady down the other day. My manager said she couod not bring in her dog since it was not yet registered.

Humans are more vicious, filthy, disease-carrying and unsanitary to...other humans.My 4 lb. Chi in a pet carrier is not allowed in Publix, but you can’t throw out the nasty humans that fondle the produce with their E.coli unwashed hands while sneezing to release airborne kaleidoscopes of germs and viruses.OK

@Ms. Ann Thorpe

Dogs are filthy dirty animals when you go to the grocery store restaurant leave the dog home

#1562029
@Anonymous

I guess we should let animals in factories too then. Not.

Some dogs *** on anything. You might get fleas from a passing dog and store could be liable. And theres those allergic. I have almost never seen a service dog in stores but if they allowed regular pets they would be all over and be a lot of accidents and noise cuz most of those people own loud little dogs.

And I happen im not ok with that cuz im very allergic to long hair dander and fleas. And i have dogs

@Anonymous

You are right Walmart all the time employee in Walmart mart way there are wipes in front of store why should I put my hands fin a cart where someone's dog has been

@Ms. Ann Thorpe

ridiculous comment

#1420742

First of all writer, you are seriously WRONG about small dogs can not provide a service... I have a full blooded 7lb Cihuahua and he takes care of me!

He can tell if a seizure is coming, knows if my blood sugar and/or blood presure is to high or too low! AND HE FOUND MY CANCER!! My doctors have witnessed all ! And the calming me down when I was very upset to learn I did in deed have cancer.

My oncologist said my dog sensed it!! So please do not make it sound like there is no purpose for a dog his size being useless....

I've seen dogs half the size of freaking horses (slight exaggeration) in Publix stores...I've seen pit bulls.. I've witnessed dogs aggressively growling and barking in Publix stores...

I've been to a Home Depot and watched a rot weiler.. not a service dog doing his business on the floor.. the owner did nothing, nor did he offer to clean it up. Management had to call their Hazmat Team to have them dispose if the waste.

Why in the world is the Health Dept not doing anything...

is there not an ordinance prohibiting this? This is disgusting!

@Willi

While I do agree that the owner of the rottweiler should have cleaned up the dog's mess, a lot of businesses do allow dogs in their stores... I'm okay with places like The Home Depot, Lowes, and Pet stores allowing pets, but I do still find it strange when I see non-service dogs in grocery stores... or any place that sells, or serves food.Here is a link with a few dog friendly stores.https://www.rover.com/blog/dog-friendly-stores-across-america/

@Lance

if you don't need them do us a favour and leave them at home

Unfortunately, not a darn thing you can do about it! I think it is absolutely ridiculous, I work in retail store, that sells upscale furniture.

I asked a few of my managers, at several times, to check out dogs walking around sniffing our furniture. They told me they were not allowed to ask the customers for the papers on the dogs. They said they could not do anything about it. In the meantime, I’ve witnessed several dogs peeing on the sofas and a few of them doing number two in our room settings.

Our company over the years, has had to trash many sofas, as well as rugs. Are you kidding me?

And we can’t ask these people to see their papers? Ludicrous!

#1420750
@Sofia Janez

As a service dog owner, I agree with you. These people I promise you, They have FAKE SERVICE DOGS!!....and I love it when someone asks me for my card on him.

Because I want to prove mine is really a service dog. My dog NEVER barks inside. He knows what the inside voice is shhh.

Yes, people should have to show proof the animal is a true service dog. God bless....

@Pita

very sensible person

Publix does ignore animal laws with regards to non service animals. Dogs in carts, being feed at the deli counter and even at the butchers window.

I took photos and sent a complaint to Health Department last week.

Keep your pets home. Some people have serious allergies or mild ones like I do..

Dogs ?

I may start shopping there.

That sounds like fun.