Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
Show

Working for publix with a disability

I work at 498 and I have Cerebral Palsy and am picked on and made fun at and I tell managers and they do nothing I went to hr and now I'm getting suspension for little stuff like today it was talking or being disrespectful my speech is not all that good so customers cant always under stand me and complaints on me and I get wrote up saying I'm rude hr cant seem to help me so is there anything I can do other then quit ? my manager is deanne smith she cares about no one i need help

The administrators at Pissed Consumer may or may not allow me to get you in contact with my two attorneys(a side note to the people at PC, it was only a mater of time when I got a second attorney), which brings to you the person that has cerebral palsy. I cannot guarantee that either of the attorneys will talk to you to see if you have a case.

But if you go to my blog which isibelieveintheada2013.blogspot.com and look at my reviews for Publix then you can contact me back via that method.

Now this is for the administrators at PC, please f with me and not let this get posted as I keep every form of communique and I would love to not see this comment posted on your site which is a form of disability discrimination so I can post what I just wrote to my site which BTW Cerebral Palsy lady/guy the encryption protocols at Pissed Consumer unlike my blog are non-existent . In plain words someone already hacked their site and impersonated me.

@ibelieveintheada2013.blogspot.

My blog is ibelieveintheada2013.blogspot.com

First Born Triplet

Well if what anonymous is saying is true putting your manager's first and last name is not bright, even if you are the honest one still not a good idea. Just see if you can get someone to speak for you.

Like report it until they fix the problem. Same thing happened to this disabled worker at Walmart, she was constantly harassed by her co worker. She reported it nothing was done. Other people reported what they saw customers saw her being bullied and he was disciplined because they made a big stink about it.

Unfortunately the matter had to be brought to the police because he threatened to have his daughter make false claims about sexual abuse to any one that stood up to him. He was harassing her for little things like demanding she show him her hands every time she uses the washroom, telling her what to eat, threatening to report her to the government for fraud because she claimed she knows how to read and cook despite being disabled, telling everyone she is stealing from the government and is not really disabled (she does not get money from the government He claimed she is pretending to be disabled to get money from them because if she knows how to read and cook she does not really have down syndrome. Just keep reporting to higher ups. Make a scene if you are being discriminated against when working, (this person I talked about did and he tried to get rid of her once customers saw he was harassing and discriminating against her.

Then he kept following her around unfortunately and lied but people backed her up since there was proof. Just make a scene so people around you know that you are being bullied and discriminated against at that time, that way you have witnesses.

You should be ashamed of yourself, using your disability to hide behind being rude to people. For those of you that sympathise with this person it turned out she kept using her disability to not have to follow the rules, claimed that other employees were harassing her because she is disabled.

Of course she deleted those comments to make herself look like the victim. Basically she was one of the co workers complained that she called them *** over an argument and then when she was written up over it she used the disability card.

As for the mother of the GROWN MAN with aspburger, it has nothing to do with his disability that he is not getting promoted, more likely because mommy still fights his own battles. He needs to be independent to get a promotion, not having mommy yell at the manager everytime things don't go his way.

@Anonymous

You are misinformed Anonymous May 01, 2014 lady, Aspergers is one of the classifications I have from Social Security Disability and it is far from an excuse.

And the as far as being I quote you "You should be ashamed of yourself" you are the one of all people if your son truly has Aspergers that should be ashamed as anybody that has a mental disability should not be treated any less respectfully as one that has a physical disability. That is why the ADA is there to give equality to all people including those with disabilities. The only reason that I do not copy your whole response and make an entry on my blog for your stupidity on the subject is that you have a son that allegedly has Aspergers.

You must not have the ability to access Lexis Nexis @

LexisNexis.com LexisNexis® Legal Newsroom.

When you do go ahead and read what is written. I have access and I will provide you with it "Concerned in the ATL" as it will open your eyes to what is being taken care of but until you voluntarily identify yourself without my firm subpoenaing Pissed off Consumer dot com to cough up who you are, I will be glad to let you in on what is going on.

IbelieveintheADA2013

If you are still working for Publix or not, read my take on Publix and contact me back at the number that is in the letter.

There is a potential chance that we can show a pattern to a lawyer about disability discrimination. Plus since these comments are public record on this site for any to see what I am about to say is not directed at you but all of people that think that Publix is made up of all good people.

Publix like other companies are made up of just that "people", all with individual opinions and thoughts on what makes up a disability. They do not have the right even though they are American citizens to outwardly disbelieve in the Americans with Disabilities Act by vocalizing any comments toward you.

If you think that you have a right to say hateful things towards a caste of society then identify who you are on this site. Go on record, a record that will come back to legally haunt you, and say you have the right even in innuendo to make jokes or comments toward people with disabilities to their face or in effigy.

Those people including the manager that you talked about who have things to say to you do have the right to think anything that they want, but legally it is considered a potential hate crime and disability discrimination if they say anything publicly to you.

Those people all talk big about they can say anything that want concerning this matter but the courts will be the ones that bend them over.

@IbelieveintheADA2013

Has your case been picked up by the media yet, Ibelieve?

Making any headway in the courts?

@***cerned in the ATL

yes and btw concerned in the atl all of your responses to me now are on my blogs entry just for you. What you thought that your ip address was protected and that anybody couldn't copy what you sent me.

Wow you really are that dumb.

As for the media you were partially right until I had my blog, no one picked up the story.

Now the blog is the story.

:( my son has worked for Publix 14 years and has been asking for full time position for many years....they gave the fulltime position to someone with less years experience!!! My son has worked all departments of Publix except management.

He has Aspergers but does not use this to obtain preferential treatment, however does except to be treated fairly and be given the opportunity to apply for fulltime....I feel my son is discriminated for his disability and until we obtained medical documentation stating that my son had Aspergers he was being written up for nothing and it was rediculous. I support my son but Publix is in for a rude awakening as I am going to the EEOC , to see what they have to say and see if my son has a case.

First of all - HR works for Publix to try to get RID of "problem employees." I am disabled as well, so I know. Do not trust HR - ever.

Go the the EEOC and file formal charges of discrimination before they fire you.

Write your case up and take it to the Department of Labor.

Go to a labor lawyer and get advice on ADA violations / Discrimination. Have them consider writing the case up and ask whether or not to have you family put the EEOC charges of Discrimination into the newspaper.

@EEOC Girl

My personal experience with the EEOC (in Tampa, Florida) on issues of discrimination in the workplace is that they don't care. My EEOC case worker initially misquoted their own laws to me, and it wasn't until I sent him a copy of those laws contradicting what he told me that he actually did anything about it.

Even then, the "investigation" amounted to getting my initial complaint, allowing Target in Clearwater, Florida about a month or two to give their list of lies and denials in response, and then giving me 10 days to send him "evidence" of my claims (which obviously would have been in the possession of Target). Before I could even get my response to him, I got a letter telling me he'd closed the case.

Worthless. Just another government agency that wants to sit on their hands and do nothing but collect a paycheck while they claim they care about the rights of disabled workers.

@EEOC Girl

No discrimination here, just someone using their disability to get by breaking the rules. No different than playing the race card to get your way.

Someone who wants preferred treatment because they are disabled. But getting preferred treatment is also discrimination, in their benefit.

@Anonymous

Inappropriate verbal behavior is the disability.

Deanne Smith does care. I worked with her longer than you ever have and she has helped me out so much. Idk who the *** you are but you're certainly not telling the truth about Deanne.

The way the people were making fun of you is not nice, but you obviously think that because you have Cerebral Palsy you don't have to follow the rules. You probably thought you could get away with things because you have Cerebral Palsy, probably thought they would feel sorry for you and let things slide.

Quit using your disability to get your way.

If you want people to not feel sorry for you stop using your disability as an excuse to get what you want. To make people pity you.

Kris, the reasons your managers are supportive is because you don't user your disability to score pity points.

@Irish

That is why they call it Reasonable Accommodation. Be cause many rules do have to be adapted to the people with disabilities. Reasonable Accommodation is not left open for interpretation by the company.

i work in store 139 with a mental disability, my managers over the past five years have been nothing but supportive and seem to obviously care about my well being. Prior to becoming disabled i was a Licensed social worker for 15 years... therefore, I have a keene knowledge of people and my managers are extremely caring human beings...PT stock clerk 139

"My store manager didn't look at that possibility of being bullied, but instead chose her favorites,"

Sounds to me that the workers at Publix need a labor union to put a stop to these abuses.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I have a very similar situation.

Co-workers chat about me because I am very quiet, they laugh and make fun. I am so stressed out, I end up rolling my eyes and when a customer come through the checkout lane, they think I am pissed at them, and report me to the Store Manager. This happened ten times in 3 weeks. I was threatened to be demoted from cashier to bagger, even possibly termination if I don't stop "treating the customers badly"...this was not directed at ALL to the customers.

I have been with Publix for 3 years, dealt with many characters coming through the line and was still professional. My store manager didn't look at that possibility of being bullied, but instead chose her favorites, and decided being superficial was more important that being professional. So after that threat, I realized the Manager didn't care about how valuable I am, so I resigned. My last day was a few days ago..and now I am searching for a new job.

Workplace bullies are no good. They should be fired, maybe even taken to court.

I'd transfer or quit. Good Luck

View more comments (19)
Publix Manager
for some reason publix seemed fit to print a calader with a muslim holiday on it and left out pear harbor day. i called corporate hq and they said it was a holiday calender and that is why they left out pearl harbor day. this is so ridiculous i cant even form a...

i lost my job at a newspaper in pensacola fl and publix was really inspecting inserts from it and its supervisors didn't know a thing about carousel technology. i had to work there everyday to know that different supervisors aren't going to comment on when new inserts are being assembled.

you got to work there everyday to know what you're doing. those publix people ar so lazy i won't be surprised that it closes

Review
Publix Officials, This is lengthy so I hope you read and learn from what I am about to express to you business wise. But being Publix I am skeptical since your business decisions are so unprofessional. Publix has excellent workers (not managers) that are surely...

I work at Publix, and this has to be the worst place I have ever worked. low pay scale, constant disrespect form managers and very long wait for health insurance.

bad job choice. imo

Publix in Naples, Florida - Asst manger

the store i shop at in Naples store 414 there is a asst manger named is Anette she is always treating the deli workers like *** she need to fired but when you tell the deli manger rick Anderson he don't want to here it he wont do anything about her he don't care about anything but him self Anette need to be talked to be removed from the store she don't derive to be a manger Anette is always stressing out on us employees she will not help us employees do anything so help us get her out of our deli

real manager - I wish could work under someone like you - theotherside is just like some other managers - you are a rare gem in this company - Vlora is like this - we had this lady manager who would scream at us in the back office until we felt like crying, over a cart take-out when the customer clearly said "no." She now works elsewhere and terrorizes other people.

THere is cameras, and proof, ppl are so *** that they dont realize most abuse is dont on the back.. so please call

Main Publix Switchboard - (863) 688-1188

Publix Stockholder Services - (863) 688-1188 x-52323

Publix Super Markets Corporate Office

ATTN: Consumer Relations

PO Box 407

Lakeland, FL 33802-0407

800-242-1227 (store-related comments only)

To post a complaint.

I only wrote this because I ws written up.

Those who can't, complain.

Education is a wonderful experience. Try it

As an actual Publix Manager, theotherside is by no means an actual manager for Publix. If they are they shouldn't and won't be for to much longer. The unfortunate situation should be looked into reguardless if it is a personal vendetta or not.

The comment from theotherside is disturbing. As a Publix manager and stockholder, you should verify that these complaints are not valid, rather than assuming the employee is at fault.

wahhhhhh!

stop ur whinning.

theotherside, u my friend said it all...

As a Pubix manager, I would like to say that I am overjoyed that you do not work in my store. Most associates that voice this type of complaint are lazy and looking for a free paycheck.

Go back to school, learn English, develop a work ethic and try to become a productive member of society. Stop playing the role of victim and take responsibility for yourself and your actions.

I shop at the same Publix and go to the same deli and never have seen any of the behavior you are talking about. I think this is a personal vendetta.

View more comments (8)
Review
What is going on? With job layoffs, foreclosures and all the other negative stuff going on why does Publix kick this bit of holiday cheer to the curb? They can't blame it on the bad economy because more people are eating & entertaining at home because they can no...

I don't know what the big whine-athon is about. Your complaint isn't valid.

Publix has Holiday Fest every day but it has a different name now. Its called "Aprons Simple Meals" whipe away the tears and go 362 days a year to eat your free food.

Review

PUBLIX Humilated and embarassed me and accused me of stealing

Have had 2 run in s with customer service lady .She has harassed me, and publicly humiliated me.Accused me of stealing. Told by manager the first time he would handle it. Met with him today after the second incident and he once again said he would handle. Had a soft spoken quiet demeanor until I pointed out I did not have any problems at another Publix location and found all employees there to be great. He became agitated and raised his voice at me. Now I see why there is a problem at this store.I left in tears, contacting his boss Monday for resolution
Review
#162025 Review #162025 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Publix Manager
I worked for a Publix at 13th and 39th in Gainesville, FL. When I joined the Deli, I agreed to my hourly salary at 7.75/hr. At Publix there are three job evaluations for the first year (one at three months, then next at 6 months, and then next at a year) and two...

Anonymous,

Call corporate and complain. They get *** done.

Publix Manager
If you slip on water in Publix and break a bone it would appear to be your fault and an inconvenience for the manager. It also seems to be company policy to take a very long time to pay any medical expenses you have incurred and try to destroy your character. When the...

OMG listen I fell in 08' n still PUBLIX they don't want to do a damb thing about this I fell on my back having to b takin by ambulance n having back surgery n medical bills over$100,000.00 now n to boot now o that the first surgey failed another is in order and PUBLIX had nerve to offer $10,000. I don't want anything that's not due they need to pay my medical,I feel now my future medical n now I'm stuck can't work my medical job I had before what kind of *** is this n my lawyers plz I feel now r jerking me around ,so upset n destitute..

Publix policies

Publix policies are a joke. like I promise policy , sure it's intentions are good . But are abused to a point that they do not serve a purpose. Managers lie and put up a front to show thier supervisers that they are particapating in the program . but if anyone ever cared to check the scudules they would see it is impossible to keep someone on the floor at all times , like during production periods , like in produce and meat departments , if you have 2 people in the store till 9:00 or 10:30 with one cutting fruit the other breaking down the truck who the *** is on the floor , how bout in meat one doing grinds and cuting holes one setting up seafood nothing getting put out out till that 3rd person comes in if your lucky enough to have one and even then they have to wrap as soon as they walk in the door you do not really get someone on the floor till 11 and that is in between wrapping ,lol what a joke , and even one or 2 of these people are a manager 1 or both will be sitting on thier *** somewhere till anouther store calls saying a big head is on the way so they never get caught .

eye chowlinge yoo tou a spelling bea spell off. Are yoo up fer it?

#119156

You can always tell when the managers get a call from another store that the district manager is coming lol.

:grin Wal-Mart is always hiring...

View more comments (2)
Publix Manager

Publix in Washington, District Of Columbia - No changes can be made ma'am, unless we decide to make them

So for my daughters first birthday I wanted her to have a spongebob cake ( since she's a huge fan!!!) I went to the publix supermarket On highway 85 in riverdale, as I was flipping through the book of cakes There were only 2 spongebob cakes. I asked the decorators behind the Counter and it the manager was acting like he couldn't find the rest of The pictures telling me it would take a while to find them and that I could Wait or pick one of the ones that were there. I decided to wait about 5 minutes For the decorator to find the book and to finish helping me where the manager Left off since he had dissapeared. She showed me about 4 more cakes. I placed my Order and left. The day of my daughters party I went to pick up my cake that looked Nothing like the cake that I ordered, which I found quite weird since I was told that no Changes could be because it was a trademark. When I complained the manager told me That there was nothing that he could do unless I ordered another cake. Publix will recieve No more of my business!!!!!!

Main Publix Switchboard - (863) 688-1188

Publix Stockholder Services - (863) 688-1188 x-52323

Publix Super Markets Corporate Office

ATTN: Consumer Relations

PO Box 407

Lakeland, FL 33802-0407

800-242-1227 (store-related comments only)

:eek Hey Gwen - If you are going to criticize the "cake lady", you should learn the difference between grammar and spelling errors. These which look more like typos, vice spelling errors.

I don't see any grammar errors. It also appears the web site capitalizes the 1st word in each LINE regardless of whether it is in the middle of a sentence or not = very poor webmaster!

Looks like Publix blew it all arond on this one.

It may have been TOO LATE to order a new cake, unless they could produce it VERY quickly.

:cry

The bad thing about this site and others like it is you only hear one side of the story. You should discuss your concern with the store manager.

This will do 2 things. First, you should get some satisfaction for your problem. Second, if you do not tell the store manager they will never know there is a problem they need to address. How can they correct a problem if they do not know it exists?

If, after speaking with the manager, you still are not satisfied, go to Publix.com. They will make it right.

Please do not let this one concern keep you from shopping at Publix because there truly are thousands of Publix associates who work hard to make your shopping experience a pleasure. Finally, please remember we are all just people, with the same problems everyone else has (family deaths, illnesses, divorces.....) and some days are better then others.

Well if you have as horrible grammar in person as you do in this post, it is no wonder they messed up your cake.

:cry I'm sure if you spoke to the store Mgr. he would of had a new cake made and delivered it to your home.

Sorry we dropped to ball on that one. Hope we don't loose you as a customer.......

#71996

I know from personal experience of being a Publix decorator, that NO CHANGES, are supposed to be made due to Trademark laws.

I also know that there is a SEVERE MONETARY PENALTY for anyone, customer or employee, who makes changes. I would recommend that you, take pictures of your cake, send them to the corporate office, with the store number, managers name and let them handle the situation.

I, being a Publix associate & decorator, am saddened to hear that happened to you. It comes from hiring unexperienced people and not offering them proper training to learn the way they need to.

Again, I know the situation can't be changed, but I as a Publix associate apologize and am embarassed that situation occured!!

you didn't say which publix this was at??

View more comments (6)