Publix Thanksgiving dinner

354 of 576 Publix Reviews

My husband and I decided to order our Thanksgiving dinner from Publix this year- We were under the impression all we had to do was heat and serve.Well, we got quite a surprise when we read the instructions on the turkey that said "heat" for 90-120 mins before serving.Now, to me that is not heating that is cooking!!!!

In the beginning we decided to "heat" it for less time which turned out to be a big mistake because the turkey was not done.

The whole dinner was much less than we expected!!!!!!We will never order a dinner from Publix again!!!!!

Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 22 Yes 22
354 of 576 Publix Reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
Dee

Dec 25, 2015 #1083778 North Port, Florida

Do you reheat turkey @325 degrees? no time or temp. was provided, just a pop up timer with detailed instructions on how place precisely in the right spot at the right angle for it to work properly & pop up when 140 degrees is reached. Also how long & at what temp are sides to be cooked? We have the 10-12 lb size bird. Thanks for your help.

Nov 28, 2015 #1070626

I have ordered Publix Thanksgiving dinner for over 10 years now. It is usually delicious and we eat leftovers for days. I don't know who cooked the meal this year but the mashed potatoes and stuffing were inedible and we hardly ate any of the Publix mean at all. Thank goodness I made additional food! Even the turkey had a weird taste to it. The marshmallow salad was made with so much sour cream I almost threw up when I tasted it! I am throwing out about 40.00 worth of food today! SO disappointed in Publix this year! Hopefully, it was just this one in Live Oak.

Nov 29, 2015 #1071293

Our dinner was terrible also.. First time we tried it. Awful

Nov 26, 2015 #1070123

We are camping so we ordered the Publix turkey dinner, followed directions and I am so glad we did not share this with anyone.I did not expect this to tast like my home cooked dinner, buf the stuffing was the texture of a thick soup. The mashed potatoes were very watery and tasteless. I love Publix,I couldn't believe they would sell this to the public. We paid $44.00 for a pretty good 11 pound turkey.

Tomcaldmik

Nov 26, 2015 #1070032

I do agree with you except the Turkey does have to be reheated for that length of time slowly because even though precooked, it did have to be frozen and then thawed for the consumer. All in all my experience was that this was a horrible precooked meal that needed to be reworked just to be palatable.

Nov 26, 2015 #1070029

Hello
So much stress over fully cooked meal
Did anyone think to slice turkey and then heat slices in oven ?
We did this was so simple and less time

Nov 25, 2015 #1069508

Just to let you know when I called Publix to order my small Thanksgiving meal they were extremely nice and they told me that it would take 9220 minutes to cook it and it looks like you made the mistake of not following the directions. I don't think that Publix Publix problem I think that was your old problem Publix extremely nice clean I love shopping at their store I can always get help when I need it try to go to Walmart and get help that's impossible

Nov 18, 2015 #1065955

Sounds like the consumer is clearly in the wrong here. They did not follow the simple instructions. If the prep work is too much for you, then you should make other arrangements. I LOVE the Publix holiday dinner !

5 0 Reply

Nov 13, 2015 #1063387

You are an *** for not reading the instructions in advance and following them. I have been using Publix holiday dinners to serve my family and guests for years and have never had a negative comment.

3 0 Reply
HappyCamper

Nov 27, 2014 #906753

I was thinking how amazing it was that the day before thanksgiving, Publix put together an entire Thanksgiving meal for my husband and I. We had some last min. things get in the way of our normal Thanksgiving this year, but were so pleased and blessed that for a very good price they put together a fantastic meal. I have shopped at Publix all my life. I remember my grandmother taking me shopping there all my life and it was a very nice memory. They knew our family, and it was always special getting a free cookie or treat from the Bakery, and smiles from all who worked there. My uncle was even a bag boy for a time. I don't know why people have been so negative. Its a great grocery store that has always provided quality, and made things right if you ever felt wronged. I'm extremely appreciative this year, and looking forward to all the tastes and smells of home. Thank you Publix (P.S., heating up a complete meal sounds just fine to me! We'll start early and have plenty of left overs)

Nov 06, 2015 #1059615

Such a pleasure ordering my complete Thanksgiving dinner from Publix. I'm a senior now and no longer want to be stuck in the kitchen for 3 days preparing this huge meal as I did for many decades while raising my large family. Thanks Publix for allowing Grandma to enjoy the day too! Your dinner is delicious and a wonderful option for us empty nesters who want to spend the day enjoying our grandchildren instead of being glued to the kitchen!

ta

Nov 22, 2015 #1068095 Hollywood, Florida

sorry but your comment sounds as a biased one. do you work at Publix?
Publix doesn't "put together" anything for you; you pay for it (products and service). how can you be "blessed" for something you're paying for...(??) you might be "blessed" for having the money to pay their prices (I guess you've also worked to earn that money) but Publix is not doing any favor to anyone.. you pay for it.

2 4 Reply

Nov 26, 2015 #1069941

Really TA...someone can't feel blessed that there is an option to pay for a prepared meal? A senior person who wants to spend more time with family than cook, or someone in pain but still wants to celebrate, etc. Open your mind & put yourself in other shoes....or is your way of "feeling blessed" only the right way? I just dealt with serious health issues this month & had to "cancel" with our extended family. I felt pretty bad for my 4 year old who wants to see grandparents & cousins. But after looking through the internet for options - I felt thankful Publix had an easy Thanksgiving meal so we could continue a tradition. So your telling me we shouldn't feel blessed still...then you are just being asinine. DISCLAIMER: I have never worked for Publix but do shop there & happen to have outstanding customer service at my local Publix. HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!! And be sure to read instructions :)

Billie

Nov 27, 2015 #1070187 Boynton Beach, Florida

Dear Hollywood... I do not think you understand the other options. I am thankful for PUBLIX. I do not work at or have stock there, or whatever. I am NOT biased when I say that I feel fortunate (not blessed) to have discovered the Publix fully cooked turkey dinner. The price is fair, based on my previous experience cooking the meal myself, and comparisons with other fully cooked meals, and going to a restaurant. DO YOU THINK THE DINNER SHOULD BE FREE? WHAT WOULD YOU CONSIDER A FAIR PRICE?
Like many others, I am too busy and tired to spend several days getting ready for the Thanksgiving feast. I did spend a quite a bit of time on line and in the papers, etc., researching my options. The Publix meal is a bargain, and it was delicious.
P.S. If anyone does not wish to heat up the turkey, have the meal catered. That way it will be hot. It will cost a lot more, though. Last year bought a fully cooked hot turkey from the Golden Corral, which caters. It was very good, but we had to pick it up, thinking that delivery on Thanksgiving day would be uncertain, and we had to fight crowds to get through to the pick up.

Verified Reviewer

Nov 26, 2014 #906537 Savannah, Georgia

I've been buying my pre-cokked thanksgiving dinner at Publix for three or four years, but it is easy to underestimate the time it takes to reheat.

BEBE

Nov 26, 2014 #906418 Dickson, Tennessee

HOW CAN YOU BE SO IGNORANT.....YOUR TURKEY WAS FULLY PREPPED AND ALL THE HARD WORK WAS DONE FOR YOU. YES, IT'S COOKED, BUT IF ANY MEAT WAS FULLY COOKED AND YOU HAVE TO HEAT IT UP.....COMMON SENSE TELLS YOU THAT HEATING IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH WILL OVER-COOK ANY MEAT!
WHOA...TALK ABOUT THE DARK AGES...IT'S SCARY TO KNOW YOU OUT AMONG PEOPLE IN SOCIETY!
AT LEAST YOU WERE SMART ENOUGH TO NOT FULLY SHOW YOUR STUPIDITY BY ACTUALLY SIGNING YOUR NAME!
THAT DOES SPARE YOU ON FEELING OVERWHELMING HUMILIATED!                   STICK TO DRIVE-THROUGH BURGERS!

5 0 Reply
BEBE

Nov 26, 2014 #906414 Dickson, Tennessee

HOW CAN YOU BE SO IGNORANT.....YOUR TURKEY WAS FULLY PREPPED AND ALL THE HARD WAS DONE FOR YOU. YES, IT'S COOKED, BUT IF ANY MEAT WAS FULLY COOKED AND YOU HAVE TO HEAT IT UP.....COMMON SENSE TELLS YOU THAT HEATING IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH WILL OVER-COOK ANY MEAT!

jm

Nov 19, 2014 #902908 Spring Hill, Florida

i GUESS THEY NEVER BOUGHT A FULLY COOKED HAM IF HAVING TO HEAT IN THE OVEN FOR AWHILE WAS STRANGE TO THEM.

trollbuster

Dec 24, 2012 #585760 Tampa, Florida

I see the Publix corporate trolls are onboard, and they scraped the bottom of the barrell too to get the cheapest. The amount of time to reheat a pre-cooked turkey varies on who you purchased it from and how fresh it is, or how thoroughly it was cooked. Publix cooks enmasse and flash freezes... I have bought turkey dinners from them many a holiday, but yeah its misleading. I did the prime-rib ONLY ONCE. Big mistake. I was mad my first time to with Publix, but mostly because they lied to me about the side-dishes, which set my first pre-cooked xmas-eve dinner back hours, and I had guests. You still have to cook all the side dishes a full length of time, which is why I do my own. No point in spending the money on theirs. They say their pre-cooked turkey is fully cooked but if that was the case you could eat it cold, like any sliced deli meat... I wouldn't recommend it, though. Putting my Publix xmas eve bird in the oven now.

Penguin2011

Dec 22, 2011 #395660

Boy, you people sure are negative-I am a 66 yr old woman who never ordered a pre-cooked meal in my life so of course I didn't know what to expect-my husband bought a "fully cooked" turkey for the people at his work and he heated it for 25 mins(the same size as what we got) so yes, we thought we could heat it less-we were wrong-I thought I might be helping some unsuspecting person like myself to know what to expect if they order a "fully cooked" turkey dinner but you people obviously know everything so more power to you-I am still young enough to admit that I still have things to learn-God bless and Merry Christmas

1-20 of 25 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Publix. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Publix.
Filing a new complaint about
×