Publix Prices Are Too High

373 of 405 Publix Reviews
Oct 04, 2008
review #138122

My neighborhood Albertson's was bought out by Publix. Publix has not opened the store yet as they are remodeling, but after visiting another Publix five miles away from me the other day, I decided to drive five miles further to an Albertsons to stock up on things today. When the new and closer Publix opens, I will still drive to an Albertsons because here is what I noticed:

Publix is pushing their store brand everything by over-pricing most national products. It would be fine if they were like Albertsons, Winn Dixie, Target, etc. where one can expect to pay a little less for a store brand, but can also expect competitive prices on national brands. However, I noticed Publix charges national brand prices or higher for their store brands (some of which are good, some of which are really lacking in quality) and the national brand products in Publix are almost all over-priced. So basically everything in Publix is over-priced. I'm not sure who sets the prices for that chain of stores, but they may want to run a competitive analysis because $100.00 in a Publix doesn't go nearly as far as a $100 in any of the other mentioned grocery stores. Some of their prices are almost double what one can find in the others. For example...I paid $3.49 for a bowl of fresh cut watermelon in Albertsons (they offer three sizes). They were asking around $6.00 for that same size bowl in Publix!..I didnt buy it. Publix has a lot of good products, but they really need to do something about their pricing before I will shop there.

95af9d9
Had an experience with Publix?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
373 of 405 Publix Reviews
Mike

Oct 01, 2013

Agree with your comments. I pay less at Winn Dixie and get foods that are just as good, quality-wise. And, earn savings on automotive fuel (diesel in my case). Publix is relatively upscale, yes, but there's a 10-15% increase in my cost for weekly groceries when I shop there.

Insulted

Jun 05, 2013 Jacksonville, Florida

Went to the produce department yesterday. There were four eggplants and beat up ugly. Asked for any in the back, none, so I complained. Produce guy agreed and surprised me by giving me two for free on the "Publix Promise" which must be some initiative for cases like this to write off damaged or unacceptable food for the regular price with no alternative.

Was shopping for Mom who I only feed the best as she is a terminal patient and immobile. So I went to the organic section and picked up another eggplant, as a matter of fact, it had a bruise too that was unacceptable but was actually good besides that. Produce guy passed me again and I said thanks, only the best for Mom so I'm buying this and I'll just eat the small ones you gave me myself, look, I took a bruised one to return the favor. All cool.

Passed the bakery. No rye, but 3 feet left, rye in the deli from bakery. Priced 10% higher for the same baked dough, different slicing scheme. Beat up. Manager of deli was there with employee. Asked why is this more expensive? Answered: because it is bigger (employee). Me: but they are all 1 pound loaves, right? Answer, That's what they weigh, but the ones in deli are bigger so they cost more. Me, to manager: does this make any sense? Manager, no, I just learned something too. You can have it for the bakery price if you want I'll reprice it. Me: Thanks for the offer (at this point produce guy happens to pass by and briefly says the
... Show more

Kate

Jan 27, 2013 Orlando, Florida

Love the store for cleanliness, selection and ambiance, but with all this, shopping Publix is no longer "a pleasure." Prices are skyrocketing and they're not even sneaky about it! When I complained about a single bakery item increase of $1.00, I was told that the difference is that Publix offers quality. I countered with the fact that there's no difference between Publix and other grocers in a bag of cookies, can of soup, box of tea or bottle of liquid detergent. Sadly, from now on my shopping will be done where my wallet won't take such a beating. Sadly, I see the demise of this great store because like so much of America, they got too greedy.

tony price

Jun 26, 2012

There is something very unsavory going on with Publix. Prices overall seem too high compared to comparable retailers. I don't think they'll ever be caught..they seem too smart to allow this to happen but I do think I'll take my business elsewhere.

Al

Nov 25, 2011

I go the GOURMET grocers and save big bucks over Publix. I have also started contacting food mfrs and distributors to let them know they are losing sales because of Publix's ridiculous orices. $6.39 for a gallon of (name brand)milk...COME ON!! Yeah, Publix milk is less, but it's bland!

Prime Optimus

Sep 08, 2011

Publix is quickly becoming the new (over-priced) WalMart - Especially in the way they treat their employees. Working people to death with outrageous claims of "Production Quotas" while paying non-living wages and making single Moms works six days a week part-time to get 30 hours of paid work. Their part-time labor pool resembles the labor abuses of the early 1900s, and they are quick to tell you there are ten people out there that want your (miserable) job. My girl-friend went to work there recently and in four weeks she counted NINE new people. These part-time workers who have been conned with "But, just wait until you are full-time" need to wake up and see what Publix is really doing. Their HR Plan involves intimidation and a revolving door! Her workmates call Publix "The New Walmart". It hasn't taken her long to realize she must keep looking for an honest workplace that respects the needs of a hard-working person seeking employment in a threat free environment.

2 1 Reply
Jacob Johnson

Sep 01, 2011

:( I am so frustrated with the old produce and the food that is so outdated. They seem not to really care unless they get the best price for their produce and their store brand products. I can see that they are not willing to comply with the decrease in prices when fuel cost drop. They feel that since they are able to get the price up, they prefer to keep it high. I see the elderly suffering but still shop there. It is such a shame that they can no have specials and great deals instead of they fake signs as to how much they are saving. Or the bull on the buy one get one free. Pitiful and you can still see that American Greed at Publix. Not to mention the ammonia smelling seafood they have sold me so many times.

PP LARGE

Jul 31, 2011

PBULIX HAS ROTTEN FOOD AND OVER PRICED GARBAGE. Walmart BJ'S COSTCO SAM'S CLUB AND OTHERS all have better quality for much less. JENKINS and CRENSHAW have a good chance of going to jail for fraud with other Publix bosses. IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE THE FED TURNS OUT THE LIGHTS A PUBLIX. Publix has a big surprise coming

Mr. Right

Jul 31, 2011

I used to do about 90% of my shopping at Publix. I looked at Target and even Wallmart,
every item I used to get at Publix is between 50c and 1.50 more. In some cases 25-35% more,
for the product.
So, I vote with my wallet, take your business to someone else.
PUBLIX got 2 greedy :(

Bob in Orl

Jul 10, 2011

I agree that Publix prices are consistently rising. I read about their 'yield management' software that fluctuates prices to achieve max profit per volume... good business if I were them... not so good for customers. Meat is overpriced... so I buy on sale only. Overall, Publix is a great store. But I buy selectively from them these days and buy from other stores for other items. Sweetbay (great competitor to Publix) needs to come to Orlando (Oviedo, UCF), they would give Publix a good run for customers.

P.S. My biggest gripe is their subs have became really skimpy on meat and cheese (1/2 slices of cheese... come on!). I find their subs more comparable now to Subway depending on particular sub.

Jul 01, 2011

and you do all of this behind their back i might add.

Jul 01, 2011

You are no ones friend. when you give someone a ride home you record their conversations with you so you can come back in and play it back and laugh at them. Then try to act like you are someones friend. Whatever. some manager

Jul 01, 2011

Publix prices are too high. The price of working at a store is also too high. A bunch of inept morons who have nothing better to do on any given day than is to *** with other employees. Record conversations you have with your employees in your car on the way home and then come back in to work and play it back so you can all stand around and laugh because it is funny. At my expense. Then tell me what a great friend you are to me. Are u *** serious? You are an *** sir. A big one. Blow something out of it and leave me alone.

Dec 19, 2012 Athens, Georgia

sounds like you have a personal problem. not a price problem. prices are too high but when you add your own personal issues it takes away from your core argument.

Currently  in Training~

Jun 12, 2011

Well, I have read a complaint on here about produce being prepackaged on here and not being able to choose the amount that one wished to buy, and instead having to purchase the set amount in a package.

My father is a produce manager and I can say that neither is true. All packaged food in the produce section is packaged in the back of the store unless it is name brand. As long as you are looking at Publix brand produce, it is all packaged in the backroom (or in the middle of the produce section in some Apron's stores...they are really big stores with cooking schools in them)

Also, as long as it is Publix brand, as long as you ask someone working in the produce section, they can break open the packaging, give you as much as you personally want and reprice it to that amount. Honest. If you see a pack of green beans and decide that you only want five, they will reprice you for five and give you those.

fl cookie

Mar 18, 2011

:cry
Are you crazy. Publix had the best deals around for those of us who like to coupon. They have weekly BOGOs and accept 2 coupons for those items whereas Albertson's does not. Publix also has monthly store coupons that you can stack with manufacturer coupons to save even more. I can never find these deals at Albertson's. Plus, Publix is so much nicer and cleaner. Need I say More/

Broke

Oct 01, 2013

FL Cookie, great, but for those of us who are too busy to coupon it just doesn't make sense. I don't buy on coupons, anyway. I buy what I need. Coupons tend to limit what I purchase, or cause me to purchase more than I need in the interest of "saving money."

Teknerd

Mar 13, 2011

I agree with everyone here that says Publix is over-priced. I normally go to WalMart for this reason but for convenience this morning for the first time in months I went to a Publix a mile from my home. I wanted bacon for breakfast. They were charging 6.39 for a 16oz packet of Oscar Meyer bacon. Over six bucks! My raw cocao I bought this morning, Wal Mart charges less than 3 bucks, 3.19 @ Publix. Cmon... that is ridiculous. WalMart charges less than 5 for the exact same product. It is for these reasons I usually only shop at Publix for convenience only when Im buying one or two items. I would never shop their regularly, I CANT AFFORD IT!

Emily

Mar 02, 2011

MY GOD! QUIT COMPLAINING AND JUST TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE, NOBODY CARES THAT YOU HAD 1 BAD EXPERIENCE AND QUITE FRANKLY I DO NOT BELIEVE THE EMPLOYESS OF SAID STORE ENJOY DEALING WITH YOUR REDICULOUS COMPLAINTS ON A DAILY BASIS. EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NEVER BEEN IN A PUBLIX, I AM SURE EVEN ALBERTSONS WILL *** YOU OFF. I USED TO BE THE LOBBY SUPERVISON AT ALBERTSONS AKA. THE COMPLAINT DEPARTMENT. PEOPLE ALWAYS LEFT SATISFIED AND IF THEY DIDNT, IT WAS BECAUSE THEY DID NOT EXPECT TO BE. PEOPLE MOSTLY COMPLAIN ABOUT NATION WIDE BRANDS MORE THAT THE STORE BRANDS. IF THE STORE DID NOT SELL THEIR BRANDS AT A COMPETITIVE RATE, THEY WOULD GO OUT OF BUSINESS BECAUSE THE MARKUP ON BRAND NAMES IS SO LOW. THIS IS HOW THESE SUPERMARKETS MAKE THEIR MONEY AND I AM SURE PUBLIX STANDS BEHIND THEIR BRANDS AS ALBERTSONS STANDS BEHIND THEIRS 110% INCLUDING RE-EMBURSEMENT AND PRODUCT REPLACEMENT. WE DEAL WITH EVERY WALK OF LIFE AND KNOWING HOW YOU TREAT A NEIGHBORHOOD STORE, IT SICKENS ME. YOU CAN SAY YOU ARE MAD AT THE STORE BUT TELL ME WHAT YOU WOULD DO IN THEIR POSITION? FIRE PEOPLE CUZ YOU WANT TO SAVE ANOTHER DOLLAR? HOW ABOUT SPEND $50 IN GAS MONEY EVERY WEEK TO SHOP ELSEWHERE AND I AM SURE YOU WILL SAVE MONEY IN THE LONG RUN WHILE GETTING PEOPLE OF YOUR COMMUNITY LAID OFF BECAUSE YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH PRICES. START YOUR OWN CHAIN AND JUST SEE HOW HARD IT IS TO MAKE EVERY CUSTOMER HAPPY. ACTUALLY I WILL JUST TELL YOU NOW THAT YOU WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO EVEN COME CLOSE BECAUSE FOR ONE, YOU... Show more

0 1 Reply

1-20 of 49 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Publix.
Filing a new complaint about
×