Are Publix really a good company to work for?

408 of 415 Publix Reviews
Apr 22, 2008
review #118696

Ok, I work for Publix.For nearly 4 years.

I am a hard worker. I've worked in five different stores, the store where I'm working at present is the best I've being with. My problem with Publix is most manager can be your best buddies but at the same time they are slowly twisting the knife in your back. I've being denied promotion, only been off sick once.

Receive excellent performance reports every six months. I finally had to call Human Resources to get some advice. The problem with this 12 - 13 week bonus, is store managers only look out for themselves.

Do they really care about the worker, I know they care for their own people (family; friends and other store mangers next of kins) I've worked with a few and all have said the same thing, if it wasn't for the shares and the bonus money, they would never work for Publix.Would like to know other people views

accf101
Had an experience with Publix?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
408 of 415 Publix Reviews
Dumb man for working at publix

Jun 12

I have been working for supermarkets for 23 years four different companies n I would say Publix is the worst out of all of them...when they say great place to work its a scam five star place to work ....if you like working 6:30am then the next day work untill 12:00 at night then the next day 10am to 7 pm n never have the same hours a week ever ...you don't know when to eat dinner u never get enough sleep cause your body is all over the place .........the people running Publix has no clue what there doing....every day I go to work there's a new *** rule that has nothing to do with making any money or making your job better.....they take things that take ten minutes to do n simple ....n make it to a three hour project .....when I first started ten people work in dept. n now we r done to 4 people with more business ....they pay you nothing .....if you can't find a job take it but you better keep looking cause they will take over your whole life for pennies .....you say now I know why super markets always closing down or changing there name cause they have people running it acting like they can make the wheel rounder lol..we having been selling food for 100s of years n they still don't know what there doing .......this place is the worst place to work for I would never tell someone to work there ......put this way you can call out as many times as u want but if your late 4 minutes 12 times a year they fire you lol...in the past 90 days there has been 90 new rules and I'm not... Show more

3 1 Reply
truthspeaker

Aug 18

Ya i.work for.fla.publix we have 20 yr old customer.service.girls who are.emotioally.drivin and have.no.sense.of matureity...managers are like stone.made.no hi hello any form of greeting toward empolyees and lazy horriable wirkers hiring kids that.hide.are stoned.on the.job bad.mouth management..and.no.consequences...@ half.dont speak.english..so.how.can.help customers or.co.worker serious.come.on ...work.outside.no.drinks.allowed.its 100 plus.degrees out...told.not.allowed.drinks.water bottles.on us.or.drinkin in front.of.customers ...why dehaydration a problem...i am.a.old man i.work.my.***.off.for.a.fortune.500.business.for.8.25 an.hr....WOW.WOW.WOW...A sad shame.on publix.disgrace

0 3 Reply
Notintheirrightmind

May 22 Winter Springs, Florida

Publix is not a good company to work for. Even the part-time HS kids will tell you so, they don't know better because for most its their first job but they can tell what's right or wrong! As a deli part-timer I get approx. 17 hrs per week and even after asking for more for two months I am not getting them. But, they did hire more associates! That means even less hrs. I can't sustain myself from 17 hrs. We are chronically understaffed. You come in and rush from customer to customer for hrs at the time, then, at 10 pm you clean for another 2 hrs. The schedule will never remain the same. Morning/day/evening shifts change from week to week, there is no consistency. You are expected to stay "ready" to be called in at a moments notice. Management does not want to hear from you or address any of the associates' concerns, training is non-existent. You are a work horse nothing more. I can't recommend this company, even to someone without skills. I am sorely disappointed and going back to my profession without looking back. :sigh

5 0 Reply
tabby

May 11

does anyone notice most of you guys are just part timers?.... food for thought.

2 4 Reply
betterthantabby

Sep 24

I used to work for Publix and so did my mother. You should realize that much of their work force is part time and very few workers are offered full time jobs. And of course, at least in the case of my employment, nepotism is a factor in promotions.
Part time workers are crucial to Publix's operation and if you do work at Publix, more importantly full time, you should know better.

0 0 Reply
missy83

Jan 18

do a self evaluation, maybe its u

3 5 Reply
corporate office

May 18, 2013 Lakeland, Florida

We do not care about our employees, even though we say we do. All we care about is making money. We try to keep the cost of food down with our buy one, get one so we can out beat Wal-mart. You are nothing but a number that costs us money. The harder and faster you work, the faster we get richer. Maybe we can be richer then Bill Gates. We thank you for the work you do, thank you for donating to the United Way and March of Dimes. It makes us look good in the comunity and is a good tax write off. And again thank you. Keep up the good work! (corporate)

4 2 Reply

Mar 09, 2013 Miami, Florida

I think it all really just depends on the people you work with. I love my job at publix. Everyone is so nice there and i get along with everyone. Management listens to me if i have a problem. They offer me a ride home sometimes too. It really just depends on the people. There are some days were i hate it because i have to work a long day or i have to wake up early but it's a job and it's really nice there. I guess it helps since i never really complain about anything

lakeland lv

Aug 24, 2012

ive worked at frozen as a selector and lv as warehouse person and maybe its just me but i dont thinks its a bad place to work but to many people put publix on a pedestal around here. They say for selectors the money is great which is true hourly granted the harder you work you go home so basically make 12.50 an hour for 35 hours or 25 an hour for 20 hours. Also they have a bad habit of "shaving time" off how long you get to select orders. as a warehouse person you get a raise every 6 months based on how much *** you kiss and once you hit 14.50 your maxed out unless cost of living goes up. SO bottom line is it a bad company to work for? no. Is the money that great? not as great as people say it is. so really publix is no different than almost any other company youll ever work for. One thing I will say is that for the amount of people that apply they hire more low quality people than the hard working ones I see come in. A lot of duis and such

0 0 Reply
D B

Jul 10, 2012

I have worked in the Publix Distribution Center for the past year and a half and I am simply thankful to have a job. Is the work back breaking sometimes, yes. Do we work long hours, yes. Is management sometimes more concerned with their perks and their bonus, than the employees, yes. But honestly who would not be? The truth is, at least in distribution, we are more than fairly compensated for what we do.
It is a job, one that we are paid well to do.
Now I will say I do slightly agree with the comment made about supervisors smiling in your face while wielding the knife in your back. But that's just the culture of the company. It is run by good ole boys and they try to keep confrontation to a minimum, which works.
In my opinion, I think it is a great company to work for, if you go into distribution. I can not speak for the store because I have never been employeed at a store. Publix operates in 5 states and is ranked with international businesses, Mr. George provided the structure for a financially sound operation.
While I do sometime feel as though the company does not exactly mirror his model for employee relations, if feel that the company has changed slighty, only to offset, the change in people and the times.
The stock program is an added bonus, is it the greatest stock program ever, no, but it is something they simple give you (you can purchase some as well) simply for your service.

1 1 Reply
Deerfield processing

Jun 25, 2012

Joe Galagher is a sorry excuse for a supervisor never knows ***. Always on the phone worrying about where his *** is.they want to work you to death. And when you need the sorry *** he disappears for hours. Can never handle nothing or get anything accomplish. You can tell him issues till your blue in the face and he doesn't care or can't find out how to fix the problems..

1 0 Reply
Chris

Jun 21, 2012

I have worked at Publix in the Deli as a part timer for 12 years and have no regrets. Publix is a great company to work for with many benefits that you don't find elsewhere. I have worked at four stores averagng 35 hours per week and found my co-workers and managers to be absolutely great people to work with.
Many many years ago when I started, only the full time associates made platters, stocked the shelves, made salads, ect. Now the part time associates do everything that a full time associated does, so the work is hectic with everything that has to be done during the course of the day.
With any job at Publix, the only thing I can say is (1) Come to work on time (2) Don't call 10 minutes before your shift starts to say you're sick (3) Do your job and do it according to Publix standards (4) Take care of your customers. You reap what you sow. If you are a good worker you have rewards and it you're not, you get nothing in return.

0 2 Reply
Ryan

Jun 21, 2012

Are you guys serious? I been working for Publix for 2 years and its one of the best companies I ever worked for. The issue is that if your doing a good job and are a hard worker they will reward you.

I'm part time but asked for more hours and have been getting 37.5 for the past 6 months. With staying late in the grocery department leveling it always hits 40.

Now my managers are trying to push me for full-time through the district manager.

My case and point is that if you work hard you will get rewarded and praised. If you dont, they will nag you and *** you out by cutting your hours since they will never fire you.

0 2 Reply
berg

May 31, 2012

what cities are you working in? I work for public in miami & i haven't seen any of these problems you're talking about.. Managers a little tight but she's a manager.. I work part time with school and still get around 13 hours a week.. maybe it depends on the city you work at. :? :? :? javascript:ac_smilie(':?')

Amy

Jun 13, 2013 Miami, Florida

I work in Miami too! I would get 15 hours when I was still in high school but now that I've graduated and its summer, I'm getting close to 30. I really think its the cities.

disgusted with publix

May 02, 2012

How to get the most money from customers.

2 1 Reply
R U Kidding?

Apr 11, 2012

Publix is the absolutely worst place I have worked - ever. And, this Site is "right on" about supervisors and managers and the lies and distortions they spread - AT THE ENCOURAGEMENT OF PUBLIX CORPORATE! The entire Publix Corp objective is to threaten and dehumanize ALL hourly employees in order to extract maximun sweat for absolutely less than slave-starved wages. THIS GOES DOUBLE for the poor smuck Vendors that try to do business with these Publix Whores.

Publix is a CANCER that tells their employees what a great deak their STOCK is - BS!! The stock "value" is set by PUBLIX and has stayed at $20 and change for THE LAST FIVE YEARS! At publix the plan is to work you to death while you can't afford food - Then throw you out with their worthless stock - NO Growth in the Value per share EQUALS WORTHLESS in any book of Common Sense!

A V O I D P U B L I X A T A L L T I M E S ****************

4 0 Reply
Haterofpublix

Apr 07, 2012

Lauri Tremblay is a Peice of *** Fat *** Manager at Publix Store 1287,I wish nothing good for her or her whole family. What comes around goes around ***!!!!!! YOU SUCK!!! as a person and a manager!!! Everyone HATES YOUR FAT ASSS!!!!!!!! :zzz

3 2 Reply

1-20 of 52 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Publix.
Filing a new complaint about
×